Monday, March 17, 2008

Elder Matthew Hansen:

A Letter home: Well, I'm in dar es Salaam in Tanzania I've been here for about 4 days. Its pretty crazy here and it is so much different than anything I have ever seen. It's really hot and humid because its so close to the coast. I don't think I've stopped sweating since I've been here. We just have a tiny shower and it is cold water but that is ok cause it is so hot. I share a apt. with 3 other elders. Elder Byaruhanga, Elder Majafe, and Gakaka. They are so cool and humble just really hard to understand.


Everyone speaks Swahili so thats what I'm trying to learn right now. It's kind of frustrating but I will get it. When we go tracting everyone stares at me (ha) just cause I'm the only white man here. When I walk down the street past the little kids they all yell "Mzungu" which is white man and then they all just laugh. I can't wait to learn Swahili so I will be able to talk to them. They are so cute and funny.


I love you guys and I miss you a ton. Tell everyone hi for me and that I love them.

Love,
Elder Hansen

PS. we have been cleaning all day and doing laundry. I had to wash my clothes by hand in a bucket. Ha, it sucked and it took forever. Just thought you might like to know.

No comments: