Monday, July 14, 2008

Elder Brantley Shattuck:




Pictures: Tim Naylor - Baptized June 14, 2008
I have been working with this family for like 15 weeks and they have been re-activated, the father is preparing for the Melchizedek Priesthood now and his son was baptised by him. The home teacher confirmed Tim. It is one of my favorite baptisms so far.

June 26, 2008
I just got the call and I get to stay in Warrenton again for another transfer, I am training again and am also becoming the new District Leader, which is not that awesome but I will take the good with the bad I suppose. Anyways this past week something pretty funny happened, somebody handed us some anti paper and when we got back to the apartment Elder Packer started to play with a lighter and tried to burn it. Only problem is that the anti paper didn't burn all that well and would light but then just stop, so anyways he kept trying while we were walking out to the car, couldn't get it started so then he threw it in the dumpster, we went to our appointment and came back in like 30 minutes to pick something up at the apartment just in time to see roaring flames coming from the Dumpster. Of course it was started because of that stupid paper that Elder Packer threw in there so I just told him to get in the car and we drove off just in time to see the fire truck screaming down the street, lights blarin and horns blazin, man it was funny. Nothing bad happened, just a toasted dumpster :) Don't worry, I am being safe. LOVE YOU Elder Shattuck

July 2, 2008
My life is really busy right now and I hate being a District Leader, I just like being a normal missionary with no responsibilities except my area. I am afraid that it might not happen for a long time again. My new companion's name is Elder Nielson and he is from Post Falls ID. He is a good missionary and I think we will be able to accomplish a lot this transfer. We got a referral and went to his house and taught him the restoration. His name is Rodney Yannicks and committed to be baptized on our first visit with him. He has a lot of obstacles in the way though. The Word of Wisdom will be a hard one for him to quit. He drinks, smokes, drinks coffee, drinks tea, and etc. Him and his wife though have a desire to be baptised so it will be neat to see how the gospel changes their lives. We meet with them again on Saturday and will probably reteach the restoration, they aren't the smartest people so we are going to have to go slow with them. Then again their date is for the 26th of July so we are gonna have to get them to quit this stuff like right now! I am doing well though, I have no complaints other than Elder Gannaway isn't in my zone any more, I am praying that we will become companions though so we will see what happens in the mission life to come. Love you mom have a great week!!! Elder Shattuck

July 9, 2008
Everything is going well over here in Warrenton and I am really enjoying it right now. Elder Nielson is easy to work with and we get along pretty well. We have a family(Yannicks) that are getting ready for baptism, they are struggling with word of wisdom issues still and that will be the big trial before them. At first the wife didn't want to meet with us at all but since her husband, Rodney, came to church with us and has met with us twice her heart has been softened and is willing to meet with us on Friday. It is exciting, I have no doubt that they will be baptised. They have two little girls which I believe are at the age of eight and six. So that is pretty neat.

Yesterday we went to this appointment with a lady who I thought was going to be a solid investigator but I was very wrong. She ended up being a complete psycho and told us she was a psychic and has like all the books that have only been revealed to the elect and she happens to be one of them. She also told me that Jesus Christ sent in his papers and retired from being head of the church, which means he is still alive and didn't actually die on the cross. Wow, it was one of the strangest things I have ever heard. We had a member with us too named Bro. Hitt and he asked her how she pictures Jesus Christ and she replied he looks like a woman, then related it to all of us in the fact that we were all born a woman...... I think she had one to many puffs in her life. So that was pretty funny experience. Elder Shattuck

1 comment:

Bree said...

Since when does Branltey wear glasses?