Monday, July 14, 2008

Elder Adam Walker:







* * *


Above: Outside Adam's apartment; Elder Walker with companion; Elder Walker with Mission President and wife.

June 26, 2008
Hey mom, I got your email and everything is going really well over here. My apartment is pretty interesting. haha it is really old but it is a place to stay and it's not too bad. My companion's name is Elder Harrison and he is from Salem Oregon. He is awesome, I have a lot to learn but so far everything is going really well. My new address here is:
203 Randolph Ave.
Apartment #3
Elkins West VA 26241

My P-day is on Wednesdays normally so that is when you will hear from me every week. This week it's Thursday because our day was all messed up because of transfers. I saw Seb Schatt yesterday, I went to high school with him and he is doing awesome. Also the WHOLE mission knows about Curtis and they all know that I am his cousin now. The mission president really made it known to everyone. I don't know if that is a good thing or not but it really got my name out quick. It's pretty ridiculous. Everyone has stories about what Curtis has done, he is a legend here.

On my plane ride from Atlanta to West Virginia, I talked to a guy the whole time about the gospel and I went through the first lesson and half of the second. I wish I could have taught more but I just ran out of time. I got his address and he wants more so I guess I have been put off to a good start. Today we have a whole bunch of appointments and we are going to go knocking some doors so that will be great and I hope we have some luck there. I don't have much more time but I want you to know that I love you all and that it was nice talking to you a couple days ago. Everything is going really well, the weather is pretty calm right now, it rained earlier today but nothing too bad. Love Elder Walker

By the way, the members over here are awesome! haha if you ask them to do something, they will do it, no questions asked. The Catholics even pay for a gym membership and 1 meal a week (Yes the Catholics) They say we get fed by members at least 4 dinners a week, plus lunches most of the time. haha Good thing I have a free gym membership from the Catholics :) Love you hope all is well.

July 10, 2008
I don't know if I told you about my little woods story haha. Well this man's name is Jerry Oldaker and he lives out in the middle of no where. He was a media referral and we were out trying to find his house for the first time and we couldn't find his house. As we were driving, the road ended and there were no more houses... so that's what we thought, then all the sudden we see this man (who looked like he hadn't showered in weeks) comes out of the trees and he said hi. We said hi back and asked if he was Jerry, the man we were looking for. He said he sure was and he was happy to see us. This guy is really nice but we are guessing he has inhaled a few to many drugs because he is a little slow, but indeed a really nice guy. We talk to him for a minute and then we ask him if we could go to his home so we could share our message with him because it was about to rain. He said it would be better if we just stayed outside. We asked him where he lived, and he pointed into the trees a little bit, and there was his 'house,' 4 pieces of plywood as walls, and then 1 on top of them to act as a roof. I couldn't believe it, it was a pretty humbling experience. It's unbelievable what people live with out here. We really are blessed where we live and what circumstances we live under. Most of the poor at home are rich compared to a lot of people out here. It's crazy.

The new mission president is awesome, he is a lot different than Cowley was but he is really good. He is changing a lot of things though, for instance going to the gym (the gym that the Catholics paid for) we can't go anymore because he says that gyms are a distraction, which can be true for most missionaries. So that probably is a good thing. We just have to find something else for our exercise routine. But it will be good. I miss you all. Things are great here I am finally starting to catch on to things. Love you all. -Elder Walker

No comments: