Thursday, October 23, 2008

Elder Matt Hansen:

Oct 5, 2008
Everything here is just the same old thing, nothing really new going on. We have transfers at the end of this week and I have no idea what will happen to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I was still here but I guess we will find out soon. Thanks for sending a package I can't wait to get it. I can't really think of anything else that you can send but something that would be nice could be a jump rope. That can wait though maybe until you send another package or something in a while. Other than that, I think we are good. Everything here is going good. We are still riding our bikes everywhere and still staying busy so that's good. I don't really like having such a big area because its hard to really focus on the progressing investigators but I just hope we are doing enough here. Yesterday there weren't as many people at church at usual and its pretty frustrating to see but hopefully it will pick up. A member brought a friend to church that has a disease in his eyes, he is blind in one eye and is losing his vision in the other and his eyes hurt him. He came so that he could be prayed for and to get a blessing. So we went with him to his home after church and it was something else. He is from some Indian religion so there were many paintings and little figures of gods and things like that. I think they worship many Gods but he was still willing to come to us to get help. So, we talked to him for a while and then gave him a blessing. It was an amazing experience. Right after the blessing he said that the pain was gone and that he could see for a few seconds after the blessing. He showed a lot of faith by coming to the church and seeking for help and it really strengthened my testimony to be a part of that. So that was a good experience, hopefully he will start coming to church and that he will recognize the blessings that come from that.
Now we are starting the last week of the transfer and I hope it is a good one. The members are still feeding us and that will be the hardest part if I have to leave this place, ha. Anyways, I am doing just fine here. I hope you have a great week. I love you mom, thanks for everything.

Oct 12, 2008
There is not much new going on here, just a regular week except for one thing....we got transfer news and it looks like I am leaving. I can't believe it. I was a bit shocked and surprised but I guess the time has come. Now that it comes down to it I don't know if I want to leave ha, I have loved this area but I guess the change will be good. I have been called to Kenya to serve in Nairobi and I am flying out tomorrow. So, it looks like things are really going to change for me. I am nervous but excited at the same time. It will be hard to leave everything here though. It was hard to say good bye to the members yesterday at church, there are a lot of people I am really going to miss but I just hope it will all work out. My new companions name is Elder Nyandoro and he is from Zimbabwe. I haven't heard anything about him but I hope it all goes well. Other than that there isn't really anything too exciting. For the past few days we have been in a threesome because of transfers so it has been more difficult to do the work but we survived. I don't have any news besides that. I'm sorry I don't have time to send any pics but I will try next week and I will let you know what the area is like. Well, I love you mom and I hope you have a great week, take care and we'll talk to you later.

Oct 20, 2008
Well now that I'm here in Nairobi I feel totally lost. I feel like I am in a new mission, everything is so different. There are a lot of people here and everything is always so busy and so rushed. Its just a lot different than Dar, I really miss my last area and all the people there but hopefully with time things will get better here. The members are nice and it seems like they are pretty strong in the gospel so that's good. The church is pretty far from our apartment though so that's kind of annoying. If we walk its about 30 minutes so its either that or take a bus. The buses here are crazy. They all play music so loud and some of them have TV screens in them, it's hard to focus on anything once you get in one but that's the only mode of transportation we have. Things will just take time to get used to. One good thing is that we have 3 investigators scheduled for baptism for next week so that will be good. I hope they all work out. My companion is alright. I like him as a person but he is ready to go home. He leaves at the end of this transfer so he doesn't like to work too much and its frustrating. We haven't been too busy and the work is slow but hopefully things will get better. I have been thinking about home a lot lately but I think that's just because of the move and everything is different now but I'll be ok. Thanks for everything Mom, I love you and hope you have a great week. Well take care, I am sending a letter soon so it will get there in a couple of weeks. Elder Hansen

No comments: