Friday, November 21, 2008

Elder Scott Snell:

October 27, 2008
To start the day off we went and climbed one of the highest mounts in Korea. I think it is actually the highest in South Korea. It is Mount Halla, if you google Jeju, it is the big huge thing right in the middle of the island. I am exhausted and my comp is even more beat. You know, they don't make them in Korea like they do in America. I am sorry but we spent the whole time waiting on the two Koreans. It was still a lot of fun. It was gorgeous because all of the leaves were changing colors and such but the fact that you had to watch your feet the whole time made it hard to see the scenery. I took some good pictures on the way up and when we got to the top 2,000m, it was foggy, we were in the clouds and you really couldn't see much. It was fun but I probably won't be doing it again any time soon. Things are going good. I got to play a lot of soccer this week and gain a lot of respect for soccer players cause I am definitely not one of them. Koreans take their soccer serious. They don't mess around with that stuff. It reminded me of church basketball. But they were actually pretty good.

I love you all and miss you but i do love this beautiful island with its palm trees and no snow. Again everyone, until next week, remember the church is true and that i love you. Elder Snell

November 2, 2008
This last week we had an unexpected visit from one of the area presidency so they called us up on Tues and told us that our flight to Pusan was leaving on Wednesday at 8:30. Well that was nice of them. The airport is on the other side of the island so we slept over at the other elders house and left in the morning. The meeting was good, I got to see a lot of my old companions and hear my trainers last talk. He goes home on the 24th. That is weird to think about. I am headed to a Buddhist Temple today. I love you all and miss you a ton. Elder Snell

November 9, 2008
This was a pretty good week, we were able to set a baptismal date with our investigator and work hard. It is crazy to think I have already been on this island for about a month. The time really is flying by. This week I had the opportunity to teach my ward about Preach My Gospel. Remember that my ward doesn't speak English. Anyway, I was pretty nervous. I had prepared as much as I could for it and I started. I decided to talk about member missionary work cause as all missionaries know, referrals are an answer to our prayers. I told them to imagine walking down the road and all of the sudden a stranger says hi and says I have this really amazing book that will change your life. Sounds a little sketchy eh. Well, now imagine that that stranger is a foreigner. Yeah, even worse. Then I proceeded to tell them that I am that stranger everyday. Yeah, every once in a while, someone will listen but not very often. I told them how members are essential to this work and it is so much more effective when they can help. It was really powerful and I ended by bearing testimony about how a ward is a family, that we are all God's children so we are all one big family. I told them how I loved my family and I was thankful that I could spend forever with them. And how amazing this gospel is that we should be jumping at the opportunity to tell someone about our church. When I was finished it was really quite, everyone was crying and it was the strongest I have felt the spirit in a long time. I think that I am going to like it here in my new area.

November 16, 2008
That is crazy to think that next week is Thanksgiving. It looks like I will be eating at some restaurant with the other Elders on our island. I would go out and kill me a turkey but they don't have guns in Korea and I am not as fast as I once was. I blame it on the rice. This last week was good, my investigator who was a smoker for 30 years just got baptized yesterday so that was really cool. I was sitting in church yesterday with my investigator waiting for it to start and kind of wondering why we were waiting, well my Branch President comes up to me and says Sister so and so is not here to give her talk so can you give a talk? Remember we don't speak English over here. Well of course I could not say no so I had about ten minutes while they passed the sacrament to prepare. I ended up talking for a good ten minutes, it was not too bad. I think God was watching out for me. Well, it came time to close and the lady who was suppose to pray wasn't there so guess who got called on to say the prayer? You betcha, me. Then we had the baptismal service with the kids running around and screaming, it was really nice. I miss American church most weeks. Oh well, I had to lead the Baptismal service too. That's the life when you are the senior in a small area I guess. Oh well, its what I signed up for. The transfer is drawing to an end and who knows, maybe I will have a new comp next week. Maybe not, I don't know. I Have already been here for a transfer. It really flew by. I love you all and miss you. Elder Snell

November 23, 2008
Well another transfer is over and it is the first one that I haven't had any changes made. I have the same area and the same Korean componion. I am really worried cause that means my Korean will only get better. I know you are a little confused right now but you have to remember as my Korean gets better my English gets worse. You do remember that I have to call home next month. I am working on training my companoin to translate just in case you can't understand. I am still down here on Paradise Island. We actully had quite a bit of snow the other day up on the volcano. I didn't see it but the other missionaries said that there were quite a few accidents as they were headed back to their area. I actually had to buy a sweater this last week to wear with my suit. But we haven't had to break out the coats yet. Speaking of suit my one is fitting pretty tight lately I am thinking that I will have to go get it let out. I blame it on the rice still.
So Thanksgiving is this week and that is crazy to think about. I think that we are plannig on having a lot of food when we have district meeting this week. I love you all and miss you.
Love your son and brother Elder Snell

No comments: