Friday, April 17, 2009

Elder Matt Hansen:

Well this past week started off a bit slow because I wasn't feeling too well. I was a bit dizzy and light headed for a few days because I didn't drink enough water and I am sweating way too much because of the heat (don't worry mom, I am drinking plenty of water now). I guess that's my welcome to my new area, karibu Mombasa! Its a big change from my last area and I am trying to adjust to it. Overall we had a good week though. I am enjoying working with my companion and he is a funny kid ha. A bit goofy but he is willing to work so that's all that matters. He is a Zulu from South Africa and his language has some clicks in it, its pretty cool to hear. Our area is very big and we travel a ton! We use everything: matatus, the ferry, little three-wheel things called tuk-tuks, and pikipikis/motorbikes ha, that's their taxi here so its quite interesting. I haven't heard anything about the pirates though, the only thing I see is the headlines of the newspaper, that's about it.
The members here have really been helping us out with the work and they give us quite a few referrals so we quite a few new people to teach this week. We also extended a baptismal date to a Mama that has been coming to church for two years! The only problem is that she doesn't know English so we got permission to teach her with a translator and so now she is ready to go. She was very excited and grateful, it was cool to see. That's one tough thing about the work here, many people are denied baptism because of the language barrier but we are told that we must do things in English so that's the way it is. The language is more of a problem here on the coast but its still better than Tanzania, most people know English. The work is moving forward and I am enjoying it here. I cant wait to read the conference talks in the Ensign, I heard conference was really good. Your lucky that you get to watch it at home, we area truly blessed for that, we take many things for granted. Anyways, I gotta go. I love you Mom, thank you for everything. Take care and have a good week, we'll see you.

No comments: