Friday, April 17, 2009

Elder Scott Snell:

March 22, 2009
ON young, (안녕)
Jeju is beautiful and the work is going great. Jeju was busy this last week. First our trip to the other island last P-day was beautiful. I swear the nice weather just follows me around these days. We barbecued just of the coast at a member's friend's house which was awesome cause I haven't BBQ in a long time. It was Korean style but was still really good. We had the kimchee on the grill. Tin foil dinners in our new fire pit for District meeting and we ate really good last week. We had District Conference this weekend. I really felt like I was in church again. I haven't had that many people in a church meeting in a long time. Our mission President came down and he and his wife spoke. He does his in Korean himself and Sister Jennings has a translator so that was nice to hear a talk in English. We are now getting ready to get on a plane to head to a meeting on the main land and will be flying back tomorrow night. Then looks like I will be flying on one again the next week but it will only be a one way ticket. President let it slip that I was leaving next week. I am pretty bummed. Elder Rowley and I were getting along great and I was really enjoying the Branch, but it is always true its when you don't want to go is when you have to.
We met with our investigator last night and he still wants to be baptized and we showed him the font and all of that Jazz. It is looking like next week it will happen. It has been really hard to meet him because he has school and Koreans are in school literally all day. But it was good. Our less active family is doing great, I really think that we can get them to come to church on my last week. That will make me happier then a baptism would. They are really great. And the son is friends with our investigator, who is getting baptized. I really will miss this island. I love you all and I miss you tons. Don't worry about me, I am doing great and I love this work more and more everyday. Elder Snell

April 6, 2009
I promised you some details about the baptism on the island. It was really good. I was pretty nervous because the last one we had down there the kids were running around wild and it was hard to feel the spirit. So I thought I would prepare a little bit better. I decided I would give the kids an assignment to keep them busy. I had them sing a song and it worked like magic. The kids were quite, the baptism went really good, and I think my new member felt the spirit really well. When we got all done I asked him how he was feeling and he was really quite and was about to cry. It made me really happy. Also, the Mom of that less active family that hasn't been to church in five or more years, came!!!! I was so happy, the Branch President kept asking us how we got her there. He couldn't believe it. She brought two of her kids and it went really good. I feel like I was actually sent down to Jeju for a reason. The Lord really does answer our prayers. My new area is definitely no Jeju island but it is really nice. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I was able to just sit back and enjoy church. Then my comp and I got to go and help in the primary so that was a plus. We have about fifty or sixty members come on average. It is really cool. Things are kind of slow cause I came into an area that doesn't have any investigators. I am back in the city, it is the city only because I am from Rexburg Idaho and have never seen a building over 4 stories high. My comp is really funny. He is a really good, really obedient missionary. It took a little bit for me to crack his shell but it has been fun. I really don't know anyone in the mission now cause I was isolated for six months on an island. But since i have to call everyone and all of the jazz I am getting to know them a little better. Today we went to see all of the Cherry Blossoms, they are in full bloom, they are really pretty and it is getting to that point were we are wishing that we didn't have to wear jackets. I bent down to put on my shoes this morning and I heard this rip and I thought maybe I just stretched my pants but then I found a huge hole in the back. My pants are trying to die but I won't let them. The work is going great, I am actually back in a house with my second companion that I was with this time last year. The only difference is I am his zone leader and not his junior. That is still funny to me. Mom and Dad, I love you, thanks for being who you are. Until next week. Elder Snell

April 12, 2009
I didn't even know that you guys were sent a letter about the whole Zone Leader thing let alone the ward. This whole leadership thing is busy. It is just like being a babysitter who gets to deal with everyones stupid problems and you don't always get to be the good guy. It has been a good experience though. Happy Easter!!! Or if I translate it from Korean to English, happy Resurrection Day. We were able to watch conference this weekend and I really enjoyed it. It was almost like Christmas eve for me and I got everything that I wanted except the Priesthood session in English. I guess you can't ask for everything. I really enjoyed everyones talks, one that is sticking out in my head right now is Elder Stevenson's about you're never lost when you can see the Temple. It made me think how exciting and nice it will be to have that temple in my backyard when I get home. I am looking forward to going to it on a regular basis. It has been a long while since I have been, you know. This week has been good, I went on splits with Elder Thompson this week and I really enjoyed it. We were having interviews with President Jennings and Elder Thompson has to step out for a little bit cause we had an appointment with a member and her friend. She wasn't feeling good when we started but as we were teaching she just started to cry. She said she didn't know what was going on in side of her, she was really confused. She thought maybe it was cause she just didn't feel well. Elder Thompson told her about Priesthood Blessings and she said she would like one. We had President Jennings come do the anointing and it was really good. I felt the spirit a lot and I am sure she did too. Then we had a great day of Proselyting where we found an investigator for the Sister missionaries. It felt good to be back with Elder Thompson again, he is a really good missionary, he will probably come visit you guys some time in October. He is going to go to school in the fall.
Nothing too exciting happened other then playing some Basketball when I was with Elder Boardman (from Idaho falls) while we were on splits. We went up to ask them if we could play with them and they were like will you be ok with your dress shoes on? I smiled and told them I thought I could handle it. We pretty much had the whole college campus staring at these two foreigners in shirt and ties rocking these guys sideways. It was pretty cool. I think the Lord blessed me with a couple of things that I haven't been able to do in a while. I think it really may have helped them see us in a different light. We got a couple of phone numbers out of it and it was a lot of fun. Elder Boardman and I both have blisters though. I guess that's the price you pay when you are in the service of the Lord. I love you all and miss you tons. Elder Snell

April 19, 2009
This week was a good one, more dealing with missionaries stupid ways of thinking but nothing too bad just little things. We have an English class for the moms in our Branch where they can bring a friend and all that Jazz. Well we decided that we would do an activity and make bread with them. So we had Elder Thomas' Mom's recipe and we did it. We split them into two groups and split the batch so more people could make it. Any way one of the ladies screwed with the ingredients and added double of something. Anyway to save it we had to add double of everything. Lets just say we ended up giving a lot of members dinner rolls and cinamin rolls and our freezer is full as well. We will be eating them for the next couple of weeks. My comp was sick this week so I stayed in the house another day and made Banana bread for our new neighbors and all of that fun stuff. Later in the week my comp had to go to army. In Korea every healthy man at one point in his early twenties has to go to some sort of army service for 2 years. It can be anything from a police man to special forces. Anyway then every once in a while they have to go to a thing where they make sure everyone is good and healthy. They do this just in case they have to go to war cause you know Korea is not very big. So my comp had to go to that for one day so he just put on his army stuff and I sent him on his way. It was really weird he was alone. I went in a three some with the other elders. I really have a great respect for the Koreans that serve missions because they also have to serve their country for two years. I don't know if I could do it. That is 4 years of their life they give up for service. I love you all and miss you tons. Elder Snell

No comments: