Thursday, August 13, 2009

Elder Matt Hansen:

So we just had transfers this past week and I am still here in Mombasa, and I am happy to be here. I am really loving the area and also the people here, they are awesome. The work is going really well. However, I did get a new companion and it is definitely a big change-he is a mzungu- a white man, ha. This is the first white companion I have had, the first one not from Africa and to be honest it has felt kind of weird. He is from Utah and he is a cool kid. We get a lot more stares though as we are proselyting. I cannot wait for the day when I can feel normal just walking down the street or in a store, we stick out way to much here. Another bad thing about two white people is that things start to become more expensive, especially the buses. They try to raise the prices on us but we just have to talk a bit and then we can get the regular price. Nothing makes me more mad than when people try to rip us off, even though its something small its so annoying, maybe I need to work on that. This last week was a bit hectic because we were in a threesome for a few days while the other Elders here in Mombasa and I were waiting for our new companions. So even now we are kind of settling down. Yesterday was a great day at church though as we were blessed with many investigators who came to church and we were also fortunate enough to have two baptisms, now just to keep them active. We are also planning for a few more this month so lets hope they come through. This week is going to be busy also as we are heading to Nairobi, about an 8 hour bus ride. We got a nice bus though so that's good. We are going for Mission Tour. A member of the area 70 is coming and all the missionaries in Kenya will be meeting in Nairobi for a conference. I am excited, I always learn a ton at these conferences so it will be a good time. So that's about all thats going on here in Mombasa. Time is going by way too fast and as I look at it I become scared. Home is still kind of far away but close at the same time and I am scared to go home. I don't know what to do. Home is kind of like a dream to me, it doesn't seem real. I guess it will hit me when I reach there. Well, hope all is well at home. I love you all, take care. Elder Hansen

No comments: