Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Elder Cameron Summers:



August 18, 2008
Time is seriously a huge blur here! I can't believe I have already been here for almost a month! That is crazy! I am excited to be in Samoa and know the language will be a challenge but I know I will be blessed and the Lord will help me.

We are starting to teach the lessons in Samoan. It is hard but just by trying and speaking will make the language come faster. My companion and I were teaching a sister in my class and my teacher in Samoan. we were teaching the first lesson to them in Samoan. It was only suppose to be ten minutes long and was just to help and give us practice. I had written down what I wanted to say in English and then translated the sentences into Samoan on my notes. After the first couple of sentences of reading off my paper in Samoan, my teacher took away my notes. I didn't know what to say for awhile. Then I just tried spitting out random words relating to the lesson. After a couple of random blurted our Samoan words, I started making sentences. It was cool because I was able to say everything that I wanted to and more. I wasn't confined to what was my paper. I also didn't have my "crutch" to help me. I just had to do it. I could feel the Lord 's help in helping me with what I wanted to say. It was really cool.

C-ya,
Elder Summers

No comments: