Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Elder Scott Snell:

October 5, 2009
We had our Korean Thanksgiving stuff and our full P-day. We went to play soccer first thing in the morning. When we got there all of the Korean missionaries had bought uniforms and were looking all spiffy and matching. Well I hadn't really planned on playing but how could I turn down an invite like that? I rolled up my pants and we had a foreigner team plus three Koreans without jerseys. We ended up destroying them and it was really satisfying. They were all bummed that they lost to a bunch of non-matching, no cleat wearing foreigners. But hey, at least they looked good when they lost. Just remember the moral of the story is appearance isn't everything. I am reminded of that everyday when I open my mouth to talk to people in Korean and they are stunned I can speak the language. We then followed up the game with a quick dip in the public bath house and finished the night out with a pizza and a movie. We get permission to watch a movie on the Korean holidays. Of course not anything but this time it was Prince Caspian. The second Narnia. I enjoyed it very much. This week were able to meet with our investigator who told us that she was going to go to a safe home to volunteer. It is a place for just less fortunate kids from elementary school to high school. We decided we wanted to go with her. We were eating with the kids and enjoying ourselves. I sat next to a kid who liked basketball so we started talking and the next thing I knew he is coming to church a few days later. His name is 영진 (young jeen) he is about 17 years old and a good kid. He really enjoyed church and is progressing really well. I am not sure on his family situation but we spent Thanksgiving with him at the church. I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for my family and the support you all give me. I am happy to be here in the service of my God and count everyday as a blessing. I love this gospel and even more I love teaching about it. I love you all and miss you.
Elder Snell

October 12, 2009
I got a call at about 6:40 am my time from one of my missionary friends singing me happy birthday. His was the week before. We started to talk about how it was weird to be 21 and that started to talk about all the things that we could do. He said you can buy alcohol, I pointed out we could gamble in Vegas, which he then said in return that we could buy hand guns and then I laughed and told him its a good thing we came on missions or we could be getting into some trouble. Of course we never intended on doing any of those things but I am still thinking about the gun;-) When I was little I always thought that when I turned 21 I would be an adult and be able to do so many things. Now that I am 21 I still feel young and don't want to do any of the stuff I can. Life comes at you fast. I can't believe I'm spending my last b-day in Korea. Thanks for all of the b-day wishes. I was able to see conference in my native tongue and enjoy every minute of it. When Elder Jeffery R Holland got into his talk it set shivers down my spine. I feel comfort knowing that the leaders of our church have that kind of testimony of the Book of Mormon. I really love the Book of Mormon, I wish I had more time to read it. There is so much to be learned from that one little book. I also really enjoyed what he said about his Grandfather saying no evil man could write such a book and no good man would if it weren't true. The Book of Mormon is true, I have felt the spirit testify the truth of it unto me, also as a missionary I have been able to see other people come to know of it's truthfulness as well. Your testimony may not be as strong as Elder Holland's but it can be. I love the scriptures and love to read them as well. I suggest if you are not reading them regularly you should be. I love this work and teaching people of the Restoration. I have had a great Birthday and am sad that this is the last one I get to spend in the field. It is a little different then spending it in the potato field which is what I usually did. I love you and thank you for everything. Elder Snell

October 19, 2009
It is the start of a new transfer and it just so happens it's my last one. I got a new companion and his name is Elder Green. He is from Kaysville, Utah. He has been a missionary for just about a year and he seems like a fun companion. His trainer was Elder Swan. If you remember that was my comp that I struggled with last year in Haeundae. We have already swapped some stories and had some laughs, seems like we have a similar opinion on some things. We had a pretty good week, we went on a bike trip with the youth of our ward to a really pretty area not to far away from Pusan. It is actually my new comps old area. I really enjoyed riding around seeing all of the orange trees and Buddhist temples. I will really miss this place. It was a pretty good week its always hard when you have a companion that will be leaving because you have to go say goodbye to everyone and then your just the one standing in the back saying alright well I will see you next week. We danced in English class and it was a lot of fun. Elder Kaing is a good missionary and we had a good transfer. He actually went down to my greenie area so that was cool to tell him about it. Love you all and miss you. I am praying for all of you. Elder Snell

No comments: